Teeth Reshaping and Dental Contouring in Melbourne
Teeth reshaping, also known as dental contouring, is a minimal approach used to improve your smile and overall appearance. The SV Dental Centre teeth reshaping procedure makes subtle changes to your teeth that improve the look and function otherwise caused by abnormally pointed cuspids (canines), small chips, cracks and irregular or overlapping teeth.
It is important our trained dentists assess your situation carefully to ensure this procedure is suitable to achieve your cosmetic goals as well as not risking any permanent damage to your teeth.
What is Teeth Reshaping?
Teeth Reshaping is a cosmetic dentistry procedure that utilizes a method involving the removal of minute amounts of enamel from your teeth. The removal of the enamel allows the tooth to be shaped by your dentist in a way that makes it more symmetrical by changing the shape, length and surface of your tooth or teeth.
Teeth shaping is often combined along with a bonding process, also a cosmetic dentistry procedure which involves the application of a tooth-coloured composite material. This composite material helps to sculpt your teeth into the desired shape, giving you a well-rounded, natural looking set of teeth. Before you undergo the teeth reshaping procedure, you will be required to have dental x-rays taken to ensure your teeth are healthy enough for the treatment to take place and are fit for purpose.
How are the teeth reshaped?
Teeth reshaping is a treatment that is performed in the dental chair by using certain dental instruments and an abrasion technique. Prior to the procedure, one of our friendly dentists will mark which areas need reshaping. A sanding device will then be used to sculpt the teeth in such a way that eradicates the imperfections and allows your newly shaped teeth to be the focus point. Following the use of the sanding device; sandpaper like strips are used to contour your teeth ensuring they are the same size, and then they are polished. This process is less of a dental procedure and more of an art form, so it’s important you have a dentist who is not only experienced in teeth reshaping, but has a keen eye for detail.
Numerous benefits stem from a teeth reshaping procedure including;
- The amount of enamel removed is very small but the difference it makes to your appearance is quite significant.
- The financial outlay is also minimal, depending on the amount of enamel that needs to be removed, the cost involved is an affordable option when compared to other treatments
- Sanding your teeth may seem painful, but the good news is – it’s not! Usually, no anaesthesia is required due to the procedure only dealing with your enamel which has no feeling therefore there is no consequential discomfort.
- The reduction of enamel in spots where your teeth are overlapping can improve your oral health. The lesser overlapping your teeth are subject to, the less they are at risk of harbouring plaque build-up which leads to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Teeth reshaping can be a possible alternative for orthodontic treatment. If your alignment issues are minor, a simple contour and reshape can make your teeth look straighter.
SV Dental Centre at Fitzroy is a family owned practice whose focus is on you and what you want from your smile.